UHI North, West and Hebrides
UHI North Highland opened in 1959 as Thurso Technical College to serve the training needs of Dounreay Nuclear Power Plant, located 10 miles from the Thurso campus. Over the years it has significantly expanded its curriculum in a truly tertiary manner. The college has continued to support the training needs of Dounreay as well as developed our curriculum in key subject areas to meet the demands of new and changing employment opportunities. The college has also expanded its geographic reach into Halkirk, Dornoch and Alness and was renamed as North Highland College in the early 2000s. With excellent staff expertise and significant resource investment UHI North Highland are a very proud tertiary education provider for the communities of Caithness, Sutherland, and Easter Ross, as well as an inward attractor of students studying land based, professional golf and golf management programmes. UHI North Highland’s Environmental Research Institute in Thurso is home to a growing international community of staff and students studying key themes of significance to the North Highland area. The college’s employer engagement is strong across the Highlands and is renowned for a flexible approach to meeting employers, whether they are large or very small businesses.